Can Dogs Eat Garlic Bread?
The same answer above goes for garlic bread as well. In fact, garlic bread is even worse because, aside from the garlic, it has other things such as butter and herbs that will upset your furry friend. Aside from all that, garlic bread is just empty calories that have little to no nutritional value for your dog.
The Dangers of Feeding Your Dog Garlic
To human beings, garlic has certain health benefits. However, for dogs, their digestive systems handle it a bit differently. The problem arises from a substance found in garlic that is known as thiosulfate, which is unsafe for dogs but okay for humans. The same toxic compound is found in onions. Essentially, this compound damages the dog’s red blood cells which can lead to hemolytic anemia. Hemolytic anemia happens when red blood cells are destroyed faster than new ones are made.
Most studies have shown that anywhere between 15 and 30 grams of garlic per kilogram of a dog’s weight is a toxic amount. For a better understanding, you should know that a clove of garlic in the supermarket has a weight of between 3 and 7 grams. For your dog to get sick, you would have to feed him or her a lot of garlic. However, this does not mean that you should take the risk and feed him or her some garlic because you never know about your dog’s level of garlic sensitivity. Some dogs will adhere to the findings of the study while others will not. Keep in mind that giving your dog a toxic dose spread out over a few days will most likely be harmful as well.
How to Detect Garlic Poisoning in Dogs
Garlic poisoning, which causes hemolytic anemia, causes symptoms such as quick breathing, weakness, jaundice, and lethargy. Other symptoms include a pale mucous membrane, gastrointestinal upsets (diarrhea and vomiting), depression, abdominal pain, dark-colored urine, and a loss of appetite.
How to Treat Garlic Poisoning in Dogs
The moment you detect the above symptoms, you should take your dog to visit a veterinarian. Normally, the amount of garlic in food is not enough to be toxic to dogs. However, they may need some professional care so that they are comfortable and sufficiently hydrated. Your vet may advise intravenous fluids or blood transfusions.